Unknown

"Being lonely doesn't mean something is wrong with me.

I can calmly experience loneliness
and learn to grow creatively from the
time with myself."

-Unknown



Friday, August 1, 2014

Sometimes the hardest thing is saying good-bye


I deleted a number from my phone today.

It was such a little thing. I've done it before, with little to no thought, and I will probably do it again. But this time it was different. I sat there staring at the tiny screen which now read "are you sure you want to delete this contact?" and I realized that no I didn't.

I wasn't ready to let go.

It was a purely selfish reflex, but thinking back on the years that I've known this lady, I realized that deleting this number may be the end to a phone contact - which I have so pathetically few - but it doesn't erase my memories.

Memories that I know from experience will sneak up and wallop you when you least expect them. You can be walking across the parking lot and remember that Fourth of July when we bought out the store's supply of fireworks and set them off, right there at that spot on the blacktop.

Memories that can fill your heart to overflowing: of watching her beloved granddaughter in gymnastics class while the two of you talk about what you want to do next summer.

Memories that can surprise you: of trying to raise money to replace gifts stolen from her car on that cold December morning and being given almost thirty dollars to help out from a stranger who overheard the plight.

Memories that can haunt you: of walking passed U-scan and still seeing her standing there wishing for a step stool so she could reach all the buttons. Of seeing her smiling face as she greeted each and every customer and took the time to learn more than their names.

Memories that will remain long after everything else has disappeared: of peeking in Playland and getting a laugh because the attendant is the same size as the kids.

I will treasure all the memories I have of my friend and I know everyone else in her large family will, also. So even as the tears fall drop by drop onto the keyboard, a smile is on my face because I know that Teri is and always will be loved.

I'm glad I knew her. She made my life better by being my friend and I for one will miss her greatly.

So, yes, little screen with your bold question. Yes I do want to delete this contact. Not because I no longer like or need this contact, but because this contact is now living in my heart and my memories.

Goodbye Teri
RIP July 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment